Sunday, July 14, 2013

The joy of photography

I have always loved photography and taking photos.  I live in and enjoy the moments of life and I know when to put the camera away, but I also know when it's time to take photos.  At least I thought I did.  The recent loss of a relative made me realize I was wrong to stifle the urge to take photos because I thought no one would want them.  After she died, we all went through our photos in a desperate search to find all the good ones of her, and that's when I realized I should've taken more.  People don't want to bother with photos at the time, in the moment, but later on they always want them.  They are always glad to have them, after the fact.

I always took photos growing up.  I didn't always have the best equipment, but I still did what I could.  After I got my good cameras and became proficient and started getting some interest, you would think the natural progression would be to start a business and make money from my photography.  But I didn't want to have a photography business.  What is the fun in that?  It's not that I can't - I just have no interest in it.  It simply does not interest me.  That certainly doesn't stop me from following the work of those I admire, such as Jose Villa.  And besides, the world doesn't need one more photography business.

My photos are good, in my opinion, but I have no delusions of grandeur that I am doing anything that someone else cannot do just as competently.  I don't think I'm Annie Liebovitz, Ansel Adams, or Henri Cartier-Bresson.  I want to shoot - just because.  My motivation for getting into all this was to to document good quality, beautiful photos of people and moments in my life, for myself and for those close to me.  I don't want to give up hours and days of my life doing photography and editing for a fee for other people.   I have done that already.  I appreciate that I had those experiences, and I am glad I made others happy with my photos. But there is no joy in that for me in the long run.  I have no need for that kind of pressure.  I do my best, in my opinion, when there is no stress and no expectations.  That's just the truth.

From now on I'll always take at least one photo to document spending time with family and friends.  Later on I'll be glad.  My focus has changed.  This is all I want to do when it comes to photography.

12840007

Taken with Nikon F6, and Fujipro 400H film.  I think my settings were f/1.4, 1/200 on a 50mm lens.  Developed normally and scanned by The Darkroom in San Clemente, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vault

My photo
I love photography, and enjoy using it to share my experiences. Contact me at maria@lonestarlens.com for general photography discussion.