Monday, April 29, 2013

Reflections

I was downtown recently and happened to notice how nice everyone around me on the street looked. They were back lit from the sun, but also very well lit from the front.  The overall effect was cinematic.  I then realized it was because a very tall glass building was scattering and reflecting sunlight upon the street. I took a selfie with my camera phone and sure enough, I too looked great. I made sure to come back around the same time of day with a friend to see how well this would work out in photography.  I like the look, but at some point, I would like return to the same spot later in the day when the reflected light is a little lower and less intense.

While shooting, I used a 400 ISO and wide open aperture (stayed between 1.4 - 2.0) and high shutter speeds ranging from 1/5000 to 1/8000.  I kept my ISO on 400 because I was also shooting a 400 ISO film, and used my digital captures as a preview.  I'll post those later for comparison.  After shooting, I made some very minor adjustments in Lightroom, such as adding a small amount of contrast and vignetting.  I was pretty happy with my white balance and exposure, overall.  I ran a couple of subtle actions in Photoshop and that's about it. 

Downtown

Downtown
She is laughing because she accidentally touched someone's leftover drink, which was resting on the other side of this lamp post.


Downtown


Downtown


Downtown


Downtown
The reflected light cast a shadow behind her, which was barely visible in person, and not visible at all in the photo.

Downtown



Downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vault

My photo
I love photography, and enjoy using it to share my experiences. Contact me at maria@lonestarlens.com for general photography discussion.