Saturday, June 4, 2011

St. Joseph Church in Maui

This is what I thought was the Hui Aloha church in Kaupo, Maui, based on what I read in a guidebook, and an incorrectly labeled series of pictures I found on one Internet site. After comparing a vast majority of other pictures labeled Hui Aloha to mine, it appears I was mistaken! I also found a blog on the Internet that indicates it is St. Joseph church, also located in Kaupo. I trust this source because they used a guidebook known as ”Glory by the Wayside: The Old Churches of Hawai’i”, by William and Susan Ecenbarger. From Ms. Edna's blog, "Also in Kaupo stands an old Catholic church called St. Joseph, on a sea-thrusting point, the two-tiered stone structure from 1862 is remarkable for the isolation of its location, like an ark that sank to land." See http://dorisvhermann.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-way-to.html. Thank you for that information, Ms. Edna. Another excellent site that narrates exactly what I went through when I circled around Maui in a clockwise direction: http://mauiguidebook.com/adventures/haleakala-backside-kipahulu-to-ulapapakua/.

Look for St. Joseph next time you are in Maui!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vault

My photo
I love photography, and enjoy using it to share my experiences. Contact me at maria@lonestarlens.com for general photography discussion.