Friday, February 12, 2010

Edge of the Earth

The Chain of Craters Road is a scenic drive winding 23 miles through the East Rift and coastal area of the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawai'i. My friend and I took a trip down the road until it ended at the edge of the island. We stopped for pictures along the way. When we got to the end, we stood on old lava flows and marveled at the scenery. The Holei Sea Arch can be viewed here. It was created when lava flowed into the ocean and cooled.

The Edge of the Earth is very isolated and peaceful. There is hardly any noise except for the crashing of the surf, which becomes white noise after a while. There are no artificial lights anywhere, so when the sun sets it's truly dark out. If not for the clouds and vog cover, we would've seen some gorgeous stars.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vault

My photo
I love photography, and enjoy using it to share my experiences. Contact me at maria@lonestarlens.com for general photography discussion.